Friday, August 6, 2010

Tool #8: Video Resources

"The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind" by TED  http://www.blip.tv/file/3930524
      I used this video at the beginning of a problem based unit which involved
      exploring the issue of poverty in parts of Africa, and discovering
      innovations of individuals and groups working to improve the lives of
      the people.  This video was our "hook" into the unit, and it worked.  The
      kids were amazed by this young man's story, and it motivated them to want
      to find out more.

"Pennies for Peace" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yccKvt0dW5U
      I used this video in conjunction with a feature article in "Scholastic
      Magazine" about efforts to improve education in rural Pakistan.  Once
      again, it spurred some great discussion and insight amongst the students. 
      Someone commented that if elementary kids can do something to help
      others who are less fortunate, so can we.  The students also made
      comments about why education is so important to a country's future. 

I am also thinking that I can show the kids how to link video resources to their wiki. 
I could use some help with how to actually embed a video.  I chose to link these because I don't understand how to do this.  If anyone can give me some tips (please keep it simple), I would be most appreciative!

No comments:

Post a Comment